Skip to main content

Wesleyan University Rosa Physics Club records

 Collection
Identifier: 1000-174

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of three volumes of minutes of Rosa Club meetings. In addition to minutes, the volumes also include rosters, election information, budgetary information, and other administrative documents.

Dates

  • 1923-1952

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

University records - Copyright held by Wesleyan University; all other copyright is retained by the creator - In Copyright – Non-Commercial Use Permitted

Some material is in public domain - No Copyright - United States

Biographical / Historical

In 1923, the Rosa Club was founded by the members of the defunct Radio Club. The Rosa Physics Club was named for a Wesleyan alumnus, Edward B. Rosa, class of 1886, a physicist, and physics professor. The purpose of the Rosa Club was "to promote an interest in physics and its applications," and this collection documents the club's existence from 1923 until 1952. The club was made up of physics students and a few professors. There were annual officer elections each May for the executive committee positions of faculty representative and student president, vice-president, and secretary-treasurer, who was the student responsible for taking the minutes of each meeting. According to the minutes, there were requirements to be part of the club, mostly in regard to the number or level of classes taken in the physics department, meaning that the members were exclusively physics majors, mostly juniors and seniors, although any physics graduate students and professors were welcome to join the club. The meetings were held twice a month, and each meeting included a report of the previous meeting, new business, a presentation of some scientific news, and a speaker, often a professor or student presenting research.

Extent

0.75 Linear Feet (1 flat hollinger box)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Rosa Physics Club was named for a Wesleyan alumnus, Edward B. Rosa, class of 1886. The purpose of the Rosa Club was "to promote an interest in physics and its applications," and included student and faculty members.

The collection consists of three volumes of minutes of Rosa Club meetings. In addition to minutes, the volumes also include rosters, election information, budgetary information, and other administrative documents.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Given by Professor Tom Morgan in July 1992.

Title
Wesleyan University Rosa Physics Club records, 1923-1952
Status
Completed
Author
Processed by Kate Levy, April 2009 Encoded by Valerie Gillispie, April 2009 Migrated to ArchivesSpace by J. C. Mlozanowski, October 2020
Date
October 13, 2020
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections & Archives Repository

Contact:
252 Church Street
Middletown CT 06459 USA
860-685-3864